Clinical Mental Health Counseling - M.S.
The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master of Science degree program at Johnson & Wales University is designed to prepare graduates to serve the community as clinical mental health counselors after 18 months of full-time study. The primary goal of the program is to prepare master's-level clinicians with the counseling skills that integrate theoretical foundations of professional counseling into positive client interaction and intervention skills. The program emphasizes the development of attitudes, knowledge and skills essential in the formation of professional counselors who are committed to the ethical provision of quality services. In addition to the coursework required, students experience practicum and internship experiences under supervision of clinical professionals.
Upon completion of this program, graduates are expected to:
- Demonstrate professional proficiency and exhibit familiarity with professional orientation and ethical practices as advocated by the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics.
- Illustrate the importance of multicultural issues in the counseling profession when working with diverse clients.
- Provide illustrations of human growth and developmental theories framed in the principles of assessment and appraisal.
- Demonstrate planning and implementation of career development practices and theoretical perspectives.
- Show command of counseling theories and how to conceptualize cases from a wellness perspective.
- Exhibit knowledge of group dynamics, group leadership, group development and the ability to apply these concepts in a variety of group types.
- Implement basic and advanced assessment techniques in the framework of helping relationships.
- Demonstrate the role of research in advancing the counseling profession.
- Articulate and demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to identify and treat behaviors and situations and apply counseling theories, models and approaches to individuals and groups who face a variety of mental health disorders.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Master of Science
|CSLG5100||Advanced Career Counseling||3|
|CSLG5150||Counseling Across the Lifespan||3|
|CSLG5170||Multicultural Counseling: Theories and Techniques||3|
|CSLG5250||Professional Orientation and Ethical Practice||3|
|CSLG5300||Advanced Individual Counseling Theory and Techniques with Lab||3|
|CSLG5350||Health and Wellness Counseling||3|
|CSLG5400||Psychopathology and Treatment Planning||3|
|CSLG5450||Testing and Assessment in Counseling||3|
|CSLG5500||Advanced Group Counseling Theories and Techniques with Lab||3|
|CSLG6100||Advanced Co-Occurring Disorders and Addictions Counseling||3|
|CSLG6150||Advanced Individual Mental Health Counseling||3|
|CSLG6350||Mental Health Counseling for Families||3|
|CSLG6500||Leadership in Agency Settings||3|
|PSYC5200||Advanced Neuroscience and Psychopharmacology||3|
|RSCH6150||Research and Theories in Mental Health Counseling||3|