Applicants, current and former students have the opportunity to change their names on university records by submitting a Name Change Request Form along with appropriate documentation showing the student name has been officially changed. A copy of a court order, marriage certificate, passport or social security card are examples of documentation required to support an official name change. Upon receipt of the form and supporting documentation, the name change will be processed immediately (except when records exist on microfilm).
Important note for international students: International students' names must appear on university records exactly as they appear on the passport issued by the student's home country.
Name in Use
Students at JWU who use a name (name in use) other than their legal name have the ability to have their first name added as a "preferred name" to the university’s student information system (Banner), which will appear on ulearn class rosters and online course discussion tools. However, the name in use cannot replace a legal name for financial aid or immigration purposes. Official university communications will default to legal name (this includes mailings home). If or when a student legally changes their name, the university will make that change in the university system when the student submits a Name Change Request Form with the required documentation.
Currently, students can have their name in use reflected on
- their JWU student ID
- university name tag (academic or on-campus involvement/employment-based)
- "preferred name" field in Banner
- ulearn discussion boards
- their Outlook display name in address book
Steps to request add name in use/preferred first name:
- Contact Student Academic Services (SAS) to have your name in use added to the "preferred name" field in Banner. This will automatically transfer to ulearn discussions within 24 hours. You may email this request.
- Speak with JWU ID Services to have your JWU ID card printed and, when applicable, your JWU name tag with your name in use printed at no cost to you (there is a fee for lost IDs).
- Email the IT Service Desk from your Wildcat email to request a change to your display name for Wildcat email.
Students may also contact the The Bridge Center for Diversity, Equity & Social Justice (formerly the Gender Equity Center) who can provide assistance with any of the above steps and review additional resources available.