The university offers a number of 16-week online courses intended for undergraduate students at all JWU campuses. Undergraduate day program are not permitted to enroll in eight-week online sections. Students may want to Tour an Online Classroom and review Frequently Asked Questions prior to registering for an online course. Students may not register for more than 9.0 semester credits in online courses in any given semester.
English as a Second Language (ESL):
- International students enrolled in the ESL program and reside in the United States on an I-20 are not eligible for online courses. International students who enroll in the ESL program through the College of Professional Studies are allowed to take online ESL courses as long as they reside outside of the United States (Providence Campus only).
- Full-time status is four 3.0-semester-credit-hour courses each semester (i.e., 12 credits each semester).
- If you plan to take online classes, a minimum of nine credits of face-to-face (in person) instruction is required per semester to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status; you may take additional credits, above that, online to fulfill your full-time status.
- Full-time status is three 3.0-semester-credit-hour courses per semester (i.e., 9 credits each semester).
- If you plan to take online classes, a minimum of six credits of face-to-face (in person) instruction is required per semester to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status; you may take additional credits, above that, online to fulfill your full-time status.
- You must have face-to-face (in person) instruction for the entire 16-week semester to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status.
Note: If there is only one class remaining in your last semester, it may NOT be online.
In order to fully participate in online courses, each student is expected to have access to a desktop or laptop computer. Chromebooks and the apps for Apple and Android devices allow you to complete some online course tasks, but a desktop or laptop computer is required for successful completion of all online course tasks.
As of October 2022, your computer must also meet the following requirements. Check the Technical Resources webpage for up-to-date information.
|Desktop Browser (one or more of the following)|
|*Google Chrome, most recent stable version and two preceding versions|
|Internet Explorer — not supported|
|Microsoft Edge, most recent stable version and two preceding versions|
|Mozilla Firefox, most recent stable version and two preceding versions|
|Safari for MacOS and iOS, two most recent major versions|
|*Google Chrome is required for completion of any proctored exams.|
|Windows 10 (64 bit) and above, or macOS 10.14 (Mojave) - 11 (Big Sur)|
|Memory: 4GB RAM|
|Storage: 1GB minimum available|
|Processor: Intel i5 or later (min 4 cores) or AMD A10 or Apple M1|
|Ability to save documents in a format that can be opened by Microsoft Office|
|Ability to view documents created in Microsoft Office|
|Broadband connection (DSL, cable, ISDN, etc.) with consistent high-speed connectivity|
|Speakers or a headset|
Technical support is provided via the University IT Service Desk, which can be reached at 866-JWU-HELP (866-598-4357) or through a link in ulearn, the online course platform.