JWU Communications with Students
Johnson & Wales University is committed to providing communication that is timely and relevant to students. Any correspondence sent by JWU email or via mail is deemed to be an official notification.
- JWU email is the university's primary medium of formal communication. All emails are sent with the full expectation that students will receive and read them in a timely manner. Accordingly, all enrolled students are required to monitor their university email accounts — at email.jwu.edu or using the Microsoft Outlook app — on a frequent and consistent basis. Students experiencing technical difficulties when accessing their university email account must contact the IT Service Desk via email or by calling 866-JWU-HELP (866-598-4357).
Select correspondence is mailed to a student's physical address. Students are expected to keep their address listings up-to-date, at all times. There are multiple address types, but students are required to list a Permanent Home Address as well as a Local Address. Log into jwuLink (Academics page) to review or make updates. Note: JWU records the original address at the time of application as the permanent address.
- Permanent Home Address (Required): This is classified as the student’s home address. If no address is supplied during the enrollment period, a schedule hold will be placed on the student’s account. Students are required to update their permanent home address so that the information is correct and current at all times of enrollment.
- Local Address (Required): This is classified as the address of residence during enrollment. Post office box addresses will not be accepted for this address. If no address is supplied during the enrollment period, a schedule hold will be placed on the student’s account. Students are required to update their local address so that the information is correct and current at all times of enrollment.
- Mailing Address: This is classified as the preferred mailing address during enrollment. Most correspondence from the university will be sent to this address. If no mailing address exists on file, the permanent address will be used.
- Internship Programs Address: Any student participating in an internship or internship abroad must provide Experiential Education & Career Services / the Academic & Career Excellence (ACE) Center with any change(s) in contact information.
- Work-study and Student Employees: Students who are employed by the university must also notify Student Employment of any change in address.
- International Students: The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that all aliens residing in the United States report all changes of address to the USCIS within 10 days of any move that takes place within the United States by completing form AR-11 (available in the International Center). Post office box addresses will not be accepted in any address for international students.
- Furthermore, students are expected to frequently review announcements posted to jwuLink and the JWU Mobile app. News and updates are also posted to JWU social media; visit the JWU Social Hub for a directory of university accounts (this includes JWU departments, clubs, organizations, athletics, etc.).
- Emergency Notification System: This system (Blackboard Connect) is used so JWU can quickly provide notice and accurate information and instructions to the entire university community during an unforeseen event or emergency. All students are required to supply the university with a valid phone number, preferably a cellphone, so they can be contacted and notified regarding a course of action. Log into jwuLink (Academics page) to review or make updates to your phone number(s).