Johnson & Wales University (JWU) is honored to support our nation’s military members and veterans as they pursue their education. JWU is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon Program-participating institution and a participant of the Principles of Excellence. JWU is dedicated to helping to ensure that our students are maximizing the full potential of their VA education and military benefits. This includes students who are veterans, active duty and military dependents. JWU works with students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), Yellow Ribbon Program, Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31), Tuition Assistance and other programs/benefits.

All students seeking to utilize educational benefits must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Students with questions about their eligibility should contact the VA first to determine the specific programs for which they may qualify.

Processing of the application by the VA takes approximately six-to-ten weeks. The VA will mail the student a Certificate of Eligibility or an award letter. One of these must be provided to the campus certifying official in Student Financial Services to receive benefits for upcoming semesters.

Each new student utilizing benefits should submit

  1. an application for admission
  2. official documentation that verifies high school diploma completion or equivalent
  3. official college transcripts from all colleges previously attended and military training transcripts, as applicable
  4. Certificate of Eligibility or award letter and any other necessary VA paperwork 

Note: If you have used benefits at another school, complete one of the following forms and indicate a change of school. If you are the veteran, complete VA form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). If you are the dependent of a veteran or service member, complete VA form22-5495 (Dependents’ Change of Program or Place of Training). Forms can be completed online.

Students enrolling under the GI Bill® for the first time may experience a delay of up to two months before they receive their first payment(s). Students should contact the Veterans Affairs Office if no payment has been received by week 7 of a semester.

Courses that are not required for the student's degree program will not be certified.

Federal regulations pertaining to the veterans' education benefits program require schools to certify a student's dates of enrollment to enable that student to receive the appropriate benefits. JWU certifies eligible student enrollment based on the actual start and end date of their courses within the semester. Certifying courses and/or labs in this manner should not have any impact on a student's tuition benefits. If there is a break in enrollment between courses, however, it could impact housing stipends. Students using Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) and MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) benefits are required to verify enrollment at the end of each month to receive monthly housing and/or kicker payments.

The VA requires strict compliance with a number of other regulations. It is the student’s responsibility to be informed of the requirements the Department of Veterans Affairs has in place regarding educational benefits. Students who have any questions or concerns regarding their eligibility should contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.