Change of Program

Students may request a program change by completing a Change of Status form with their assigned academic advisor. The ability to enter a new program is not guaranteed and is subject to the availability of space and the student meeting eligibility criteria (as applicable).

Students can view the list of available programs in the current catalog. It is recommended that students meet with their academic advisor if they are unsure of their choices.

It is recommended that students request to change their program or catalog or declare their bachelor’s degree program as early as possible so that they may seek proper advice as well as facilitate new program registration. Any program change may delay graduation and impact satisfactory academic progress. Students are encouraged to use the What-If feature in GPS to determine how their coursework applies to a new program or current catalog.

Approved changes will become effective for the subsequent semester if requested after the add/drop period of the current semester. The new program requirements will follow that of the  catalog in effect for the effective term of the change. Registering for courses in the new program is the student’s responsibility; registration is subject to availability. 

Note: Students who have met the degree requirements for their program of study but continue to enroll in courses in a subsequent semester will automatically be enrolled as an extension student and will be ineligible for financial aid.

Please review the following information carefully regarding program changes:

  • Students may request to follow the curriculum requirements as published in the current catalog for their current program of study. Students may not combine program requirements from multiple catalogs.
  • Students are responsible for the curriculum specified in the catalog in place at the time of program change. Note: Associate degree students declaring a bachelor’s (2+2) degree will follow the same catalog year in which their associate degree was declared. 
  • Courses that no longer apply to the student's new program will be calculated in the cumulative GPA as well as counted as credits attempted for the purposes of determining satisfactory academic progress.
  • Prior college transcripts and/or previous transfer credits will be reviewed and may be adjusted based on the student's new program of study.
  • Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program may not declare a certificate in that same discipline.
  • Students may not request to transfer into a program that has been discontinued.
  • Students who have only ever been enrolled in an extension program may declare a program of study, but must first be accepted through Admissions.
  • Students under review for graduation that have one semester remaining are ineligible for a program change in the same degree level.

Students on academic probation are not eligible to change their program without the approval of their academic advisor.

As applicable, undergraduate day program students with one semester remaining toward degree completion who have CAR0010 Career Management outstanding may change to the College of Professional Studies program. However, the student will still be required to complete the outstanding requirement as a College of Professional Studies student.