Criminal and Disciplinary Action

What Action May Be Taken

  1. Criminal Prosecution: If you choose to pursue criminal prosecution through the courts, the incident should be reported to the police. Remember, a police report does not require a victim to prosecute and campus personnel are available to assist you when notifying the police. Please see Getting Help for sources of assistance for victims when moving through the prosecution process.

  2. University Disciplinary Action: If you choose to report the matter to the university, the incident should be reported to Campus Safety & Security. Please see Getting Help for contacting Campus Safety & Security.

Sexual assault and relationship violence (including dating violence, domestic violence, stalking and sexual exploitation) are violations of the university’s Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Policy, Prohibited Discrimination and Harassment (including Sexual Harassment) Policy, Student Code of Conduct, and state and federal law, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX). Sexual assault, sexual harassment and relationship violence alleged to have been committed by students are addressed through the university’s Conduct Review Process and, as applicable, in accordance with Title IX and relevant state and federal law. Please see the Conduct Review Process for more information about the rights of parties related to complaints of sexual assault and relationship violence. Possible sanctions for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct regarding sexual assault and relationship violence are set forth in Sanctions for Individuals and Sanctions for Groups.

When any one of the options above is pursued, you do not forfeit your right to pursue the remaining options. Compliance with the items listed above does not constitute a violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. 1232g).

See also the following pages: