Care and Responsibility of Emotional Support Animals

The care, responsibility and handling of emotional support animals on the JWU campus belong solely to the owner. Emotional support animals are not considered service animals and are therefore permitted only in the student’s assigned residence hall room area unless given explicit permission by Accessibility Services/ACE Center or Residential Life. Outlined below are expectations for the care, responsibility and handling by the owner:

  • JWU is not responsible for the care and supervision of the emotional support animal.
  • Emotional support animals must be well cared for and in good health.
  • The animal’s owner is responsible for the cost, care and supervision of the emotional support animal, including
    • compliance with any laws pertaining to animal licensing, vaccination and owner identification
    • feeding, walking and disposing of waste
    • proof of flea prevention
    • proof of sterilization (spayed/neutered)
    • proof of vaccinations for
      • rabies
      • distemper
      • leptospirosis
      • bordetella
      • fecal OVA and parasite screening with negative result
      • any other state-required vaccination for the respective animal
  • Students with disabilities who live with emotional support animals must comply with all university rules regarding noise, safety, disruption and cleanliness.
  • The animal's owner is responsible for keeping the animal under control and taking effective action when it is out of control.
  • The animal's owner is solely responsible for the behavior of the emotional support animal including any and all damage or injury to persons or property caused by the animal. In all cases, the owner of the animal must hold harmless Johnson & Wales University for any damage or injury to others.
  • In all cases, the owner of the animal is responsible for the animal’s behavior and is subject to disciplinary action via the Conduct Review Process.

An emotional support animal must be housebroken. The owner is responsible for the cleanup of the animal’s waste and, when appropriate, disposal of the animal’s waste in areas and methods designated by the university consistent with the reasonable capacity of the owner. Waste disposal via university plumbing is prohibited in university residences, academic buildings or administrative buildings. Generally, outside trash receptacles are appropriate. Please check with Residential Life or Facilities staff for guidance. 

JWU will not require any surcharges or fees for an emotional support animal in JWU residence halls because it is a disability-related accommodation. However, the animal’s owner may be charged for damage caused by the emotional support animal to the same extent that JWU would charge any person for damage caused to university property.

The owner’s university residence may be inspected for pests once a semester or as otherwise needed. If pests are detected, the residence will be treated using a university-approved pest control service. Pest treatment expenses incurred above and beyond standard pest management in the residence halls will be the responsibility of the animal's owner. Additionally, cleaning and repair expenses incurred above and beyond standard cleaning and repair are the responsibility of the owner.

The emotional support animal may not be left overnight in the residence hall to be cared for by another student.

A student resident will be permitted to have no more than one emotional support animal due to the combined residential living space.