Courses Taken at Other Institutions
Enrolled undergraduate students must obtain approval from Student Academic & Financial Services prior to registering to take courses at another institution. In order to obtain approval, students must submit a completed Request to Take Classes Elsewhere Form, as well as any additional documentation as stated within the form. The following requirements must be met:
- The student must have an overall grade point average above 2.0.
- The number of credits taken elsewhere while enrolled at JWU must not exceed 18 quarter credits.
- The course(s) must not be in the major field.
- The course(s) must not be one(s) previously taken at JWU and for which a grade of W was issued.
- The course(s) must be taken within 1 year of permission being granted.
- Approval will only be granted for courses that are applicable to the student's JWU program of study.
- Course credits from other institutions must equate to the number of credits in the equivalent course at JWU.
- Grades of C or better (2.00 or equivalent) from an accredited institution may be accepted for transfer. Transfer credits are not calculated into the cumulative grade point average.
- Students are responsible for tuition and fees for approved course(s) at the other institution.
Accelerating the completion of program requirements may negatively impact future enrollment (i.e., part-time enrollment during a term in the next academic year); students are strongly advised to review course projections and to plan accordingly.
Note: Any exceptions to criteria 1–5 will be made by a director in Student Academic & Financial Services or Online Student Services, if the student is in an online program.
Once enrolled in a JWU graduate program, students may not take core or concentration courses elsewhere with the intent of transferring them into their JWU program, except when there are extenuating circumstances and permission is granted by the dean’s office. Should a student be granted permission to take a course under these conditions, a grade of B or higher must be earned in order for the transfer credit to be awarded.