Term/Semester Start Requirements
Term/semester start requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied prior to enrollment. In order to be considered officially enrolled in classes at the start of each term/semester, all university term/semester start requirements must be satisfied. Students who fail to fulfill these requirements will have holds placed on their accounts and be prohibited from entering classes or changing their schedules. In some instances, schedules will be deleted and, if applicable, housing assignments will be removed.
Prior to each term/semester’s posted deadline for the term/semester start requirements, all students must complete (or confirm completion of) the following requirements. Deadlines are set forth in the Academic Calendar and included in many email communications.
All students must
- Participate in course registration.
- Contact Student Academic & Financial Services to review their invoices and payment arrangements.
- Invoices are mailed beginning in May (for the fall term/semester), and emailed in October (for the winter term), December (for the spring semester) and January (for the spring term).
- Students are encouraged to contact Student Academic & Financial Services to streamline the process of completing the term/semester start requirements
- Meet the Payment Deadline Requirement.
If applicable, students must also
- Satisfy the financial aid requirements.
- Satisfy high school requirements and receive a high school diploma (all new undergraduate students), bachelor's requirements (all new graduate students) or master’s requirements (all new postgraduate students) by submitting final, official documentation.
- Satisfy the health services requirement (all new students).
- Satisfy the international student services requirement.
Payment Deadline Requirement
A payment deadline has been established for each term/semester. Prior to this deadline, all students must establish (or confirm) an appropriate and approved payment plan with Student Academic & Financial Services. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in immediate and permanent deletion of the student’s schedule, and a financial hold will be placed on the student’s account. In this instance, students will be permitted to register only when holds no longer exist on their record. Students who have not registered by a term/semester’s deadline for completing term/semester start requirements will be required to complete their payment arrangements, as well as satisfy all other hold(s) if applicable, before being able to register for courses. Students who subsequently satisfy their payment arrangements shall have no guarantee that they will be able to re-register for the same course(s) and/or section(s) from which they were dropped.
Financial planning representatives are available in Student Academic & Financial Services to help students and families satisfy the payment deadline requirement (see Financial Services for contact information). 1, or a combination, of the following options constitutes an appropriate payment plan:
- Pay the entire annual balance due to Johnson & Wales University.
- Make a term/semester payment in full to Johnson & Wales University.
- Pay the enrollment fee and the first month’s payment to Tuition Management Systems (TMS), the university’s monthly payment plan company.
- Apply for and receive approval for a loan that covers the entire annual balance due to Johnson & Wales University.
- Submit company authorization for tuition reimbursement.
Financial Aid Requirement
To receive financial aid, students must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) with the U.S. Department of Education as soon as possible after October 1; the completed FAFSA must then be on file with Student Academic & Financial Services. If selected for verification, all requested documentation (e.g., parents’ federal tax transcript, student’s federal tax transcript, verification worksheets, etc.) must be received in Student Academic & Financial Services by the posted term/semester’s deadline for completing term/semester start requirements. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in the placement of holds on the student’s account and will prohibit the student from entering class or changing their schedule.