M.P.A. - Homeland Security Concentration
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree program is for students with professional goals related to the management of public service organizations. Areas include government agencies, health organizations, justice administration/law enforcement as well as not-for-profit organizations. The program takes a multifaceted approach to management that includes leadership, personnel management, policy/program evaluation, diversity, and ethical governance. This process links theory, policy and practice, giving students the opportunity to learn and utilize skills required for leadership positions in both the public and the third sectors.
The concentration in Homeland Security provides students with awareness and knowledge of the inter-agency cooperation required at each level of government in order to meet the threats of terrorism and disasters. Students completing this concentration can find challenging career opportunities in various areas that significantly impact public welfare and policy, including homeland security management, emergency management, protective service operations, threat detection and assessment, disaster planning and public health security.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to:
- Critically analyze and use knowledge of academic theory, legal issues and/or regulations to inform ethical practice and policy formation within public and third sector organizations/agencies.
- Manage and apply effective standards of public and third sector governance within organizational structures.
- Assess and effectively manage sector-specific functions, programs and resources.
- Advance professional communication, public outreach and responsiveness standards in a manner that promotes accountability, inclusion and other public service value.
- Leverage inter-agency relationships to prevent and/or mitigate terrorism and/or disasters from the local level to the national level.
Master of Public Administration — Homeland Security Concentration
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
|NPM5030||Financial Management and Budgeting in Nonprofit Organizations||3|
|NPM6800||Strategic Planning and Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations||3|
|PAD5200||Public Administration and Governance||3|
|PAD6200||Public Personnel Administration||3|
|PAD6400||Public Policy Analysis||3|
|RSCH5700||Research and Inquiry||3|
|PAD6730||Emergency Management and Planning||3|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|Technology and GIS in the Criminal Justice System|
|Public, Private and Nonprofit Collaboration|