FAST and College Credit
Johnson & Wales University offers students an opportunity to earn credit toward a JWU degree prior to commencing their studies at the university. Eligible students may earn credit by participating in the Freshman Advanced Study Track (FAST) Program sponsored by the College of Culinary Arts. In order to qualify for credit, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in an approved FAST school program.
- Complete a minimum of 2 years in an approved commercial foods secondary school program.
- Earn a minimum of a B (3.0) grade point average in the commercial foods program.
- Meet all of the requirements for acceptance to Johnson & Wales University.
- Successfully pass a 3-hour practical exam. (Exam fee: $300)
Note: FAST applies only to culinary majors. It is not applicable to baking & pastry majors.
Upon successful completion of the above requirements, qualified applicants may receive up to 9 quarter credits toward their JWU degree.
Students enrolling in other JWU programs may be eligible to earn transfer credits through the Prior Learning Assessment Program. Undergraduate students may earn course credit for previous academic and/or other learning experiences by successfully completing Challenge, CLEP, DSST or Portfolio Assessment.
For more information about the FAST program (practical exam or FAST approval) or Prior Learning Assessment programs, contact Admissions.